The Art of Awareness



Hey Chilllleeeee, I hope you have been keeping up with the self-Celebration Series and exploring your own areas that are causing a lack in your esteem. And I know you didn’t think I was going to leave you hanging with last weeks heavy hitter about my previous relationship.
Soooooooo…. Since we are here I want to dive a little deeper in who I discovered that I was a victim (yes, I said victim) of low esteem. If you know a little bit about me you already know that the roses were never bright red, and the green was certainly greener on the side. With that being side, life was tough but the thoughts of others were tougher. So, what really happens when our first affirming word or affirming act is from a lover? Well, in short it could be tragic but in length just allow me to paint this picture of a twisted conditional love.
While I can’t understand why the age 19 is so significant, I am completely aware that my mother’s first love broke her heart at the age of 19 and things kinds just went down hill from there. I also know, both my younger and older sister met their current spouses and children’s father at the tender age of 19. I too met my quote on quote “Love of my life” at 19.
Prior to my first REAL relationship I was caught up in youthful lust with a few guys from the thirty different schools I attended. Of course, they weren’t marriage material and I was too young to even consider marriage but that did not stop this young girl from exploring her options. Although my purity was important, my risk to walk the line of “it could happen” was just a little more important.
By the time I graduated high school and left for college I had my purity in one hand and my heart in the other. Let’s skip over my basketball scholarship (I promise I will come back to that) and let’s park it right in front Panola Rd. When I returned from Phoenix City, Alabama I was introduced to this fine, young, educated brother by the name of Anthony (I changed the name). Anthony was pitched to me as this amazing brother that attended the ELITE Morehouse and had a bright future. Just know, ya girl was sold at HELLO!
So, here’s the issue. When I actually met him, we bumped heads. I was aggressive and stern, and he was aggressive and stern. The biggest difference between our similarities was he had a family that backed him in everything he did. He also had a degree that was well above my junior college certificate. Needless to say, I was the weaker person in the relationship and that meant I was NOT the prize. In his eyes, that is.
When we started dating he would go out of his way to point out every flaw he saw. He had no problem telling me things like “why can’t you wrap your mind around this simple concept” or simply deciding to not communicate at all. Of course, there was some love, love that was contingent upon agreeing on a thing or when there was something coming against us. Just know the love was conditional. Yes, I played my role, silent treatments and walking away.
So how did I get here?
Great question. To be honest, our relationship ended a year later (chillleeee he dumped me, TUH)  but I was still soul tied to the situation. I was in love with a person that I didn’t love. My objectivity went out the window the moment he flattered my brokenness and reeled me in with youthful lust. It wasn’t always bad, but when the relationship began to quickly travel left, I wasn’t in the position to leave. I didn’t want to leave, yet I needed to leave.  How could I leave such a talented, educated man? How could I not stay?
Here’s why…
Growing up with a semi present father and a very busy mother, words of affirmation and love was very sparingly in the house. My sisters and I had to fight for my mother’s attention and my father’s attention was everywhere else but home. It was only a matter of time for a young boy to tell me I was cute or important. It only took one person to tell me that my flaws were greater than my value. It only took a little bit of harsh words and some bad treatment to reduce my self-esteem. My self esteem barely had a fight chance, and that created a victim.
From my upbringing, I learned to discount myself. I learned that I was only worth what a person was willing to deal with. I had learned to become more palatable with my words, actions and outer appearance. When I got into my first relationship, with each critique I learned to recreate myself. I learned how to be multiple people for his multiple frustrations. I became less visible and internally frustrated. I began picking up things I didn’t like just to be a bit more pleasing. I mean, in my mind it made all the sense in the world. Especially, considering that fact that I didn’t believe I was worth love.
My self esteem was shot, therefore I had little self-value. Since there was no self – value, there was no way in the universe I could happily and authentically celebrate myself. And in turn, there was no way I could love others. I was screwed, and not like a nail in the wall.

Until, I messed around and found perfect love.

Until Next time,
Sara J.

No comments