21 Days Later ...



    On December 31, 2018 around 9 pm, I laid silently on my nicely made air mattress thinking thoughts about finishing. Although I laid there fairly lax, my mind was running through the last twelve months. I had flashbacks of fear and doubt, thoughts of depression and sadness, I felt moments of isolation and a piece of happiness right at the end. As my thoughts moved from emotion to emotion, I began to mentally search the birth place of my adversity. Just as I was about to dive head first into old flesh wounds and grievous pain, my alarm for buzzed loudly and I had somewhere to be.
By the time I arrived at church for New Years Ever service, I had forgotten all about my previous thoughts and found myself engulfed in worship. I found myself wrapped up in tears and joy, yes, joy! Only after receiving the Word and experiencing joy, I immediately rushed home to lay the foundation for prayer, fasting and giving.
Now, I want you to know that prayer, fasting and giving isn’t the most popular blog topic and it also isn’t the conversation starter for “Gals Night” but it is foundational to spiritual growth. While others stayed up all night long journaling about what they didn’t accomplish and creating vision boards for what they wanted to accomplish, I took a different route. Naturally, ya girl would have been at one of the cities most exclusive events, in the hottest winter sequined dress with the stunner (stunt on em) pumps and my girls linked arm in arm but God.   
Like the previous two years, I chose church over the New Year Eve madness (no judgement if you were in them Atlanta streets 😊). My choice was not contingent upon not finding the perfect “New Year, New Me” dress, though funds were low nor was it because I ran out of Uber credits (which I did). I simply decided I wanted to take on this year and not let it take me.
While taking on this year, there were things I didn’t engage in. Firstly, I wanted silence. I wanted and needed to hear from God regarding certain things in my life. Last year, I dug to my deepest parts and attempted to walk away. It was like being cut open on the surgical table and walking away, only after seeing the insides. During this time, I THOUGHT I had to be the doctor while needing to be the patient. I thought I had to administer the anesthesia and stitch myself up after my very own self-made surgical procedure. I thought, and I thought wrong.
Secondly, I needed to see what God sees. There had been and has been so many things spoken over my life and either by happenstance of by heavenly design, it happened. I once said that I couldn’t see myself living anywhere other than Dunwoody, and because I spoke it I now live it. But speaking wasn’t my issue, well speaking the right thing but I needed vision. When there is so much noise around you, it can be quite distracting but when there is silence and vision great things follow. I needed vision, but not just sight to see but sight to be.
Thirdly, I needed tactics. Tackling things in the world is similar to tackling things in the spiritual. I needed skills that I didn’t have a degree in. I needed an increased level of insight and wisdom. I needed divine connections and relationships, and I needed all these things without having to compromise who I am as a person.
How do you do it? I thought you’d never ask. For this first 21 days I fasted, prayed and set a monetary giving amount. Now, all three of these areas tried me in different ways but along the way I discovered something quite profound and I want to share it with you. Yes, I still struggle in most areas, yet transparency isn’t one of them. Yes, I still have areas of unbelief, but I constantly fight to build my faith. And yes, I’m stitching myself up but I am not doing it alone. I have God leading the way and you supporting while reading this blog. Here’s my plan for the year, shamelessly drafted by yours truly.
Game plan for 2019.
1.   I will operate in my gifts, unapologetically.
2.   I will not become less for someone else’s more.
3.   Trials and tribulations will come, its apart of growing in faith.
4.   Everyone will not like me (or you). (this one was really hard to accept because I naturally just love people and I love creating bonds) But we will keep them lifted in prayer! 
5.   I will not succumb to deadlines at the expense of lowered standards and quality of products.
6.   I commit myself to representing Christ shamelessly! (hence, shameless reads)

I hope you found solace and joy in this post but most of all the strength to continue in ordered steps to your best version of self.
Unit next time,
Sara J.

No comments